Top of the Tree

Two goals from Mark Jones together with a first of the season from Cai Owens and a fourth for Noah Daley saw us to the top of the table albeit with other sides not playing. Ferry had an early chance when a ball over the top saw Rory McCreesh come outside his box to clear just ahead of the Ferry forward. We had the same scenario only in reverse a few minutes later when Lewis Holmes played the ball over the top for Mark Jones but Luke Probert was out to clear his lines. In the early stages neither side settled on the ball there was a lot of first time clearances with the ball going from end to end. On 21 minutes Jack Hurley played the ball wide to Craig Jones and his long cross to the far post was met by Mark Jones but his header went just over the bar. On 26 minutes Luke Probert lost the ball and Cai Owens saw his goalbound shot hit a defender it rebounded to Mark Jones and his shot was blocked and cleared. Ferry won a corner which Rory McCreesh tipped over for another corner from which we were awarded a free kick. From a Lido free kick on the half hour Cai Owens headed wide but we seemed to be gaining the advantage. A minute later Chris Hartland had a shot cleared off the line and Mark Jones hit the top of the crossbar with a header. The goal finally came on 34 minutes and it was Mark Jones again on target. The ball was played wide to Sacha Walters and his cross was cleared to the right Chris Hartland played it in low and Mark did the rest. The Ferry responded well and won a corner which Rory McCreesh punched out to a Ferry player who shot over the bar. The Ferry equalised on 44 minutes when we seemed to give away a corner which Luke Harris headed unopposed into the net from a couple of yards. We immediately attacked from the kick off and won a corner which was met about 15 yards out by Cai Owens and he powered a header into the back of the net to regain the lead. Straight from the restart the Ferry won a corner which we cleared to the sound of the half time whistle.

The Ferry had the better of the early stages of the second half and Cai Owens did well to block a shot which we then cleared forward to Chris Hartland who conceded a free kick. On 53 minutes we lost the ball in the middle of the park and from a good position the Ferry player sot wide. Their next attack saw the ball hit the crossbar and some resolute defending on our part saw us clear to Mark Jones who managed to get a shot away but it was straight at the keeper. We made it 3-1 on 61 minutes and Noah Daley showed great composure in scoring. We again had a couple of openings that were cleared and the ball was played wide for Noah to run into space and as Luke Probert came out he slotted the ball past him into the net. The Ferry again had a lot of possession without threatening the goal then from Lido throw the ball was received by Chris Hartland who went down in the area the referee awarding us a penalty which Mark Jones duly netted. That effectively was game over with the Ferry looking for a consolation and Lido looking to increase the lead. Sacha  Walters and Liam McCreesh had shots but there was no addition to the score.

Rory McCreesh  2 Craig Jones  3 James Parry  4 Alex Gammond  5 Lewis Holmes  6 Cai Owens  7 Liam McCreesh 8 Jack Hurley  9 Mark Jones 10 Chris Hartland  11 Sacha Walters

Subs  12 Jack Fleming – 14 Jack Underwood – 15 Luke Evans for Liam McCreesh 81 – 16 Noah Daley for Craig Jones 45 + 2 -17 Josh Webber for Chris Hartland 86