Referee the centre of attention

An excellent first half which we edged by a terrific goal from Jack Hurley had everyone hoping for more of the same in the second half. Unfortunately, a poor performance by the referee which resulted in Liam McCreesh being sent off for two yellow cards in the space of 3 minutes followed by a spate of yellow cards for both sides. Worst of all was the failure to penalise Joe Evans for pulling Mark Jones back just outside the Cambrian area which should have been a red card as he was the last man.    To add insult to injury it was Joe Evans who got the equaliser on 67 minutes when everyone he shouldn’t have been on the field.

After the game everyone was talking about the decisions made and how it had spoilt the spectator’s enjoyment of what had been a good top of the table clash which fizzled out into a damp squib as the game wore on. We all have a responsibility to try and make the games attractive and that includes the officials.

The first half was nip and tuck, young Luke Evans showed up well in midfield and forced a good save from Dan Bradley in the Cambrian goal with a free kick from just outside the area. Several times we found Sacha Walters in space down the left but most of his crosses were poor, rarely beating a defender or the keeper. Our goal on 39 minutes was reward for a period of pressure when we had a couple of shots blocked by good defending but the was nothing Cambrian could do when Mark Jones chested the ball into the path of Jack Hurley who shot hard and low past Bradley.

Cambrian started the second half on the front foot and it took us some time to get into the game. Liam McCreesh was booked for a sliding challenge on 54 minutes and the 3 minutes later tangled with a Cambrian player. I thought we were getting the free kick but maybe Liam’s reputation swung the decision and he was off.  This changed the complexion of the game but 7 minutes later Mark Jones was clearly fouled and that should have evened things up with us still leading 1-0. However the incident was ignored and Cambrian came back even stronger with Joe Evans equalising when he should have been in the changing rooms. Cambrian went ahead on 75 minutes and we then were awarded a free kick which was played into the box, Lewis Holmes was sent sprawling but again the foul was ignored and a penalty chance for us wasn’t given. With changes being made to try and get back into the game we conceded a third 9 minutes from time but to be honest by then even I had lost interest as it seemed obvious we weren’t going to get from the officials.


Rory McCreesh  2 Craig Jones  3 James Parry  4 Alex Gammond  5 Lewis Holmes  6 Luke Evans  7 Liam McCreesh – 8 Jack Hurley  9 Mark Jones 10 Chris Hartland  11 Sacha Walters

Subs  12 Jack Todd for Sacha Walters 77 – 14 Noah Daley for Chris Hartland 69  – 15 Jack Underwood for Luke Evans 84  – 16 Jack Fleming – 17 Lewis Clement