Great win against the odds

A win against the odds at STM Sports with everyone playing their part in the performance. We had a dreadful start, Steve Cann went down having collected the ball from a corner after 2 minutes and dislocated his shoulder. There was a 25 minute delay while he was being attended to and eventually he was able to walk to a dugout. Gareth Couch took over between the sticks. STM Officials phoned for an ambulance but as it wasn’t deemed life threatening an ambulance wasn’t sent.

When the game restarted Jack Hurley won the ball and played a good through ball for Noah Daley but a defender just beat Noah to the ball and clear the danger. Brad Flay won the ball on the byeline and we played the ball wide to Sean Hanbury but his cross went over the crossbar but there were encouraging signs that the team had settled. STM were awarded a free kick 25 yards out, they took a short one and fired in a shot which Gareth Couch confidently held. STM took the lead on 35 minutes when we were clearing our lines but the ball was not controlled and it was played back into the box. Gareth Couch made the initial save but we couldn’t clear the ball and in the resulting goal mouth scramble an STM player forced the ball over the line. We didn’t deserve to be behind and 5 minutes later we were back on level terms. Following a good build up Sean Hanbury passed the ball forward for Noah Daley wide left. Noah took on his defender and beat him got into the penalty area and shot past the keeper giving him no chance. Sacha Walters then picked up a loose ball and tried a shot which went just wide. Gareth Couch again held a STM free kick and on the stroke of half time Alex Gammond put his body on the line and brilliantly blocked an incoming cross.

STM started the second half looking to regain the lead but could only head a corner over the bar. Sean Hanbury then set up a chance for Noah Daley but his shot was saved by the keeper, Sean then went on a fine 30 yard run got into the box but again the keeper saved his shot. We took the lead on 56 minutes after their keeper had again made a save off Sacha Walters turning the ball behind for a corner. We took the corner short crossed it in low for Sean Hanbury to turn the ball in from 8 yards. Liam McCreesh showed great composure just after the hour when he calmly headed a STM free kick back to Gareth Couch. It just showed the confidence that we were now playing with. Ben Symons having had a few knocks was replaced on 65 minutes by Patrick Finneral with Sacha Walters filling in at full back. STM now had a lot of possession but lacked a finishing touch, some of their finishing left a lot to be desired. On 70 minutes Gareth Couch made another save turning the ball away for a corner which was again headed wide.  Brad Flay was unlucky not to make it 3-1 on 76 minutes, he picked up a loose ball and fired in a great shot but again the STM keeper dived full length to his left to turn the ball away for a corner. The corner found its way to Noah Daley and his shot was tipped onto the crossbar and out for another corner by the keeper. STM again pushed forward looking for an equaliser but they were unable to find a way through the defence with Gareth Couch standing firm. In added time having weathered the STM storm we pushed forward and passed the ball around keeping possession for some time. Eventually Patrick Finneral shot and again the keeper saved only this time Liam McCreesh followed up and turned the ball into the net from a couple of yards with the keeper still on the ground. We comfortably saw out the closing minutes to earn 3 valuable points.