Reserves beat Ynysygerwn

Although officially an away game this was played at the Lido as Ynysygerwn have problems at present with their floodlights.

Ynys started brightly and were awarded a free kick 25 yards out in a central position but the kick hit the wall and was partially cleared, it was again picked up by Ynys but the through ball was overhit and went through to Gareth Couch in goal. Again on 7 minutes Ynys had a free kick which and despite no real pressure on the defence it took a couple of attempts to clear. Lido finally attacked and won a corner which was turned behind for a second which was headed at the keeper. Following another corner on 14 minutes the Lido took the lead, the corner was cleared but played back into the box for Liam Griffiths to score his first goal for the Reserves. Ynys again attacked and it took a flying save from Gareth Couch tipping the ball over the crossbar to deny them an equaliser. On the half hour Jordan Pike delayed his clearance, it was blocked and with Gareth Couch out of position the ball rolled inches wide of the far post and out for a goal kick. It was a costly miss as within a minute the returning Morgan Gardner scored with a shot from the edge of the area. No sooner did Ynys kick off when they found themselves three down when Michael McCalmon went through to score. In the closing stages of the half Gareth Couch again saved an Ynys shot to preserve his clean sheet.

Lido kicked off the second half and a strong run down the right by Michael McCalmon set up Luke McDonald but his shot sailed over the bar. Finally on 52 minutes Ynys pulled back a goal and it was from the penalty spot. Minutes earlier Gareth Couch was hit in the face with the ball and needed treatment. Nathan Davies stepped up to score from the spot and be the first to beat Couchie from 12 yards this season. Minutes later he was forced to leave the field and Cai Owens took his place between the sticks. Lido increased their lead on 64 minutes following a quick break. The ball was played wide right to Michael McCalmon and his shot from wide outside the area went over the keeper and into the net for his sixth reserve team goal. Ynys again attacked but Cai Owens safely held the incoming shot. On 81 minutes he produced a great save tipping over a free  kick which was going into the top corner. However, Ynys weren’t to be denied as from the corner Daniel Griffin netted with a shot which gave Cai no chance. No more goals but a couple of half chances for the Lido as they saw time out.