3 points on the opening day

We kicked off but lost the ball almost immediately and Ton attacked down the right winning a corner. We cleared the corner but conceded a free kick 35 yards out, the ball took a wicked bounce in front of Rory McCreesh and he just managed to tip it over the crossbar for another corner. Ton with the wind at their backs continued to push forward but their final ball into the box was letting them down. On 12 minutes we finally got to grips with the game, Owen Williams won the ball in midfield, he was tackled but the ball fell to debutant Noah Daley but before he could get into his stride he was fouled with Ton clearing the free kick. Owen then received the ball from a throw in and made his way towards the penalty area, he was unable to set himself up for a shot and the ball was cleared but at least we were now making inroads into the Ton defence. We won another free kick which was headed clear but Josh Doyle picked up the loose ball and played it into the area but again the Ton defence stood tall and cleared it. We then had a spell of good pressure and played Liam McCreesh in, he scored but the linesman flagged for offside. We took the lead on 24 minutes, Ton were unable to clear the ball and Noah Daley was in on goal but the ball went off the keeper and out wide. Sacha Walters picked it up beat a defender and shot, the ball going in off the far post with a defender trying desperately to clear it. After a slow start the goal was deserved for the pressure we were putting Ton under. On the half hour Ton pushed forward but another debutant Jamie Karnsang did well to head the ball out for a corner which they headed over the bar. From the goal kick Sacha Walters beat a defender made 30 yards but he dragged his shot wide. Luke Evans did well to head a cross clear before a Ton shot from just outside the area was held by Rory McCreesh. As the half was drifting to a close Ton were trying to get the benefit of the increasing wind but our defence generally coped well with the threat. Noah Daley did well to win the ball and he held it for the supporting Owen Williams but he lost the ball but Noah again won the ball knocked it wide for Sacha Walters who beat the defender but pushed it too far ahead and the keeper came out to claim it ahead of Sacha. For the umpteenth time in the half we were awarded a free kick this time for a foul on Owen Williams Sacha Walters played it to the far post for Lewis Holmes but his header was cleared.

Ton again started the second half at a rate of knots and put us under early pressure but we weathered this storm and had the sniff of a chance when the Ton keeper came way out of his box and lost the ball but Cai Owens wasn’t able to take advantage. Cai Owens gave chase to a long ball forward and won a corner, his header hitting the post and Ton cleared. We now had a few poor moments where a poor pass out of defence was picked up by Ton, Rory McCreesh was out to close the attacker down and Jamie Karnsang did brilliantly to block the shot, the ball going for a corner. We then under hit a back pass to Rory who again was out to tackle the attacker with this time Lewis Holmes making the block. After a few poor moments we got back on the attack but Ton cleared the ball and seemed to foul us in the centre circle. However the referee didn’t give anything and Ton played the ball forward creating another opportunity, Luke Evans fouled the attacker and was deemed to be the last man so he received a straight red. It was a double whammy as Leon Jacka scored from the free kick meaning we had 30 minutes to play with 10 men. We took the game to Ton and the Ton keeper miskicked his goal kick straight to Cai Owens who found Sacha Walters wide left, his cross was met by Noah Daley and his goalbound shot was blocked on the line to deny him a goal on his debut. Sacha Walters took a free kick 35 yards out and his kick hit the crossbar before going out for a goal kick. Despite being down to ten men we were unlucky with a couple of chances. We took the lead on 73 minutes and it was another debutant Lewis Holmes who scored it. Ton gave away a needless corner and Lewis powered a header in from 10 yards. From the restart it looked as though Ton would level the scores but Rory McCreesh made a fine save and substitute Ben Rose-Miles shot wide of an open goal. Noah Daley with a fine flick set up Cai Owens who won a free kick to give us a breather. With 8 minutes to go Rory McCreesh punched a corner clear and Liam then cleared the next ball into the box. Lewis Holmes and Josh Doyle won important headers as the clock ticked down.

An important win and in view of Luke’s red card this was a gutsy performance and gives us something to build on.


Lido side

Rory McCreesh  2 Luke Evans  3 Josh Doyle  4 Craig Jones  5 Lewis Holmes  6 Jamie Karnsang  7 Liam McCreesh  8 Owen Williams  9 Cai Owens  10 Noah Daley  11 Sacha Walters

Subs  12 Matthew Andrews  14 Jack Fleming for Jamie Karnsang 70  15 Morgan Freeman

16 Toby Link-Jones  GK Gareth Couch

Goals Sacha Walters 24  Lewis Holmes 73