Double for Liam

We progressed to round 2 of the league cup with late goals from Liam McCreesh and a first senior goal for Jamie Karnsang. We had the bulk of possession but most of it was in defence or midfield with Trethomas content to sit back and try and catch us on the break. If they had their shooting boots on they could in fact have been out of sight before we took the lead. Several relatively easy chances were missed coming back to haunt them at the end. We were without Sacha Walters and the injured Cai Owens with Callum Lewis making a first start.

We had an early warning when in the third minute a long ball from the Trethomas keeper went over everyone allowing a striker in on goal but he dragged his shot wide of the far post. After a period of Lido possession Liam McCreesh chipped the ball into the area but the keeper was out to gather just ahead of our attackers. Jack Fleming beat a couple of defenders going down the left, Liam McCreesh met his cross cut inside but turned his shot wide. Trethomas took the lead on 15 minutes when Liam McCreesh in trying a first time pass forward only succeeded in playing it straight to Tom Neville the Trethomas 10, he had a clear run in on goal, drew Rory McCreesh out and shot across him into the net. Trethomas were now more than happy to defend in depth allowing us all the possession but our play was slow making it easy for them to close any gaps that we might have created. Finally, on 29 minutes we picked up the pace and Liam McCreesh had a shot blocked, the ball rebounded to him and he placed his shot giving the keeper no chance. Minutes later McCreesh again cut in and shot but the keeper saved at his near post. Trethomas should have retaken the lead on 38 minutes when following a long throw the striker only had Rory McCreesh to beat but shot straight at him then with no defenders reacting to the danger somehow he headed the rebound over the bar.

Liam McCreesh sent a 47th minute free kick just over the bar as we started the second half at a quicker pace. Following a Lido free kick for an offside the ball was played to Jack Hurley, he played a 1-2 and went into the box and appeared to be fouled but the referee waved our protests away. On 55 minutes Trethomas broke and had a 1 on 1 with Rory McCreesh, Rory came out to narrow the angle and the forward took an early shot but only managed to hit Rory with the ball going for a corner. We cleared the corner but some poor defending allowed a Trethomas player into the area but although well placed he shot wide. Into the last 20 minutes and a Jack Hurley corner flashed across the face of the goal with no-one getting a touch. We finally took the lead on 82 minutes when Jack Hurley found substitute Jack Underwood, he raced forward and found Jack Fleming on the left, his cross was met by Liam McCreesh almost under the crossbar and he only had to touch it over the line amid calls from Trethomas for offside. 2 minutes later and it was 3-1, again Jack Underwood was involved and again he ran into the box, drew a couple of players and the keeper and squared the ball to Jamie Karnsang who shot into the empty net. There was still time for Trethomas to hit a post in an effort to get back into the game but we successfully saw out the remaining minutes to earn a trip to Pontyclun on September 8th.

Lido side

Rory McCreesh  2 Josh Doyle  3 Jack Fleming  4 Craig Jones  5 Lewis Holmes  6 Taylor Evans  7 Liam McCreesh  8 Owen Williams  9 Noah Daley  10 Jack Hurley  11 Callum Lewis

Subs  12 Morgan Freeman for Taylor Evans 90  14 Jamie Karnsang for Owen Williams 74  15 Toby Link-Jones  16 Jack Underwood for Callum Lewis 79  17 Tom Owen