Heaviest league defeat in years

Jordan Edwards scored from the penalty spot on 12 minutes, the fifth successive goal scored from the penalty spot in recent matches. After a very good first half Lido fell away badly to concede 6 second half goals in their heaviest league for many seasons.

Pontypridd still smarting from their defeat at the Lido a few weeks ago started brightly. Their first chance on 3 minutes fell to Sam Johnson who shot from long distance but the ball just drifted wide of the post. Lido responded with a Josh Webber free kick which was whipped in looking for the far post but it drifted just wide. On 11 minutes a Lido appeal for hand ball in the Pontypridd area was waved away but a minute later a penalty was awarded when Jordan Edwards was brought down. His spot kick was accurate and gave Lido the lead. Lido went close to doubling their lead on 16 minutes when a Josh Webber cross was almost turned into his own net by Shane Parry. It took an outstanding save by keeper Morgan Davies to prevent a second goal. It was a crucial save as a minute later Gavin Beddard levelled the scores heading in from close range. Ironically after a terrific spell of Lido pressure Pontypridd took the lead after 31 minutes. The ball was crossed in from wide right and Sam Johnson headed in. Steffan Rogers then produced a fine save to deny Gavin Beddard a second goal and Lido suffered an injury blow on 39 minutes when Liam Griffiths was forced off to be replaced by Taylor Evans. With only a goal between the sides at the break it was set up for an interesting second half.

Luke McDonald replaced Jordan Pike at half time, Pontypridd came out of the blocks quickly in the second half with Aiden Lewis shooting from distance. The ball took a deflection wrong footing Stefan Rogers but luckily for the Lido it went just wide of the post. Lido struggled to get a foothold in the second half and Pontypridd were camped out in Lido’s half. It was no surprise they went 3-1 up in the 64th minute with a breakaway goal as they quickly countered from a rare Lido attack. Jarrad Welch supplied the final ball across the face of goal for Sam Johnson to tap home. This opened the floodgates and 3 minutes later Aiden Lewis fired home a free kick from distance to make it four. Lido lost the ball in the middle of the park and Drew Fahiya was clear of the defence to drive his shot home to make it five on 71 minutes. Worse was to follow as it was six on 74 minutes when Jordan Knott backheeled in a corner. 75 minutes saw the seventh when Drew Fahiya picked up a loose ball and though his first shot was parried by Rogers the rebound fell back into his path and he fired home. Lido managed to repel further attempts to increase the lead until the 90th minute when Vaughan Fowler shot from distance the ball ricocheted off the post into the net to round off the scoring.