Unbeaten run comes to an end

A heavy pitch, a lack of atmosphere and a poor performance saw the Lido lose their first game in five. Lido created the first chance as Ioan Evans unleashed a shot from distance which Martin did well to get behind and hold. Uni responded with an attack of their own as Huddart went close as he met a deep cross with a looping header which was slightly too high. On 13 minutes the Uni created another chance as Matras took a shot from distance but it flew over the bar. There wasn’t much to report as both teams struggled to get much traction on a difficult pitch and openings were few and far between. On the half hour Ben Keen was released through on goal but under heavy pressure from the centre back his shot was charged down by Martin who kept it out brilliantly. On 35 minutes there was a superb triple save from Aaron Jones. Adam Orme steadied himself after connecting with a cross but his shot was charged down by the Lido keeper. Jones then clawed away the deflected rebound before diving on a third rebound to deny the hosts an opener. On 39 minutes Lido opened up the Uni defence with some great play, Sean Hanbury played Ioan Evans through out wide, he spotted Laim Griffiths running through and supplied a low cross but the Lido striker just failed to connect by centimetres and the ball ran wide. That would have been a certain goal with the Uni keeper beaten.

Half time arrived and it was a bit of a flat affair with few chances at either end. Aaron Jones had kept Lido in the game with a series of superb saves while at the other end Liam Griffiths and Ben Keen went close.

There was some nice early pressure in the second half from Lido as Connor Harris and Ioan Evans supplied crosses causing danger for the home defence. Chris Jones also delivered a corner which Griffiths rose to meet but he couldn’t keep his header down. Lido created another chance on 54 minutes when Sean Hanbury touched a pass into the path of Connor Harris but he snatched at his shot and it went wide. Into the last twenty minutes and it had become quite cagey with both sides proving difficult to break down and some poor decisions were being made in the final third by both attacks. With 15 minutes to go Sean Hanbury pulled the trigger from just outside the box, the ball  deflected off an incoming defender forcing Luke Martin into a great save to tip it wide. Out of the blue Uni scored and it was a poor goal to concede. It was an orthodox right wing corner, no-one attacked the ball allowing Tim Hicks to steal in and nod home.  With three minutes to go Ioan Evans went down under pressure in the box but the referee waved away the penalty appeals. In added time Ioan Evans in space shot first time but the ball went over the bar, that was costly as from the restart the Uni went down and netted their second to secure the points. Lido still had time to see Ioan Evans hit the crossbar with a volley from 12 yards, a disappointing performance after our good run, now all eyes turn to Taffs Well on Friday.