Lido defeated by the University

This was the first ever meeting of the two sides. Football was suspended on the day we were due to play each other in the 2019-20 season.

Swansea Uni wasted no time in taking the lead, scoring with their first chance of the game in the third minute. Cam Langan nodded a free header past Steffan Rogers with the defence standing watching. The Uni looked dangerous on every attack and on 7 minutes wasted a second chance when the ball bounced to Huddart in the box who unmarked, couldn’t keep his shot down and it flew high and wide. Referee Ben Williams then produced his first yellow card of the game as Jackson Hall went into the book for a challenge. Hyden lined up the free kick from distance and narrowly missed the target with a powerful strike. At last, there was some positive play from Lido as they attempted to wrangle dominance from the visitors with some surging runs, in particular from Jay Thomas. On 20 minutes another good run, this time from Ioan Evans down the right who beat his full back but his shooting angle was narrowed and his shot was collected by Martin. Within a minute there was a good chance for Lido. John Hall swung a cross in from deep which found the head of Jordan Edwards who connected well but directed his header just wide. Edwards was played in on goal but brought down resulting in a yellow for the Uni player and a free kick in a good position. Disappointingly Jay Thomas took the resulting free kick which sailed over the bar. Uni attacked again and missed a great chance from a corner which evaded the entire Lido defence to find Orme crouched at the back post but, with the goal gaping, he could only direct his header wide. They however continue to look dangerous from set pieces. Rogers was forced to punch behind under pressure from the visitors from yet another set piece.

On 41 minutes there was a chance for Lido. Jordan Edwards collected a low cross from Jay Thomas in the box. He turned and laid off to Harrison but he couldn’t keep his shot down and it flew over the crossbar. Lido created another chance before the break when Edwards beat the last man and the offside trap and squeezed a shot on goal which evaded Martin to force a last ditch goal line clearance.

There was an early chance for Lido in the second half as Edwards took a shot at the advancing Martin and forced the keeper to parry behind. It’s been a bit blood and thunder so far, both teams increasing the tempo in search of an opening with Lido having come out looking a lot brighter. Uni are still one up but it’s a close game. However on 59 minutes the Uni doubled their lead, from a free kick Jones had stolen in front of his defender and it took a reaction save from Rogers to keep it out. From the corner, Osario collected a deflected clearance, turned and fired home from the edge of the box.

Minutes later they trebled the advantage when Cam Langan wrong footed his defender and fired home.  Lido then made a double substitution with Lewis Butler and Harry Davies replacing Taylor Evans and Patrick Finneral. The two goal salvo by the Uni has been a sucker punch for Lido who were just starting to edge the second half. Uni now dictated terms as Lido failed to find any space in the visitors half. With just over 10 minutes remaining there was a chance for Toms whose initial shot was cleared but rebounded directly into his path. He couldn’t compose himself quickly enough and the resulting shot was collected easily by Rogers in the Lido goal. Lido didn’t give up and with 5 minutes to go Connor Harris had a half chance as he tried his luck from distance after a series of corners but Martin comfortably held his shot.